How To Prepare Your Kitchen

When you're first embarking on your cooking journey, you'll need some basic cooking supplies to get you started. This is your checklist to get your kitchen ready on a budget! 

Image Credit: PickPik

Pots and Pans

While it's nice to have fancy cookware, you don't need top-of-the-line pots and pans to make good food. I've found affordable options under $20 at Walmart that can get the job done without hurting your wallet.

1. Medium-sized Pot

2-quart sauce pan with lid
Image Credit: Walmart
Pasta is an easy, classic meal. To make pasta, you'll need a pot to cook it in. I recommend just one medium-sized pot, nothing too big nothing too small. 

I found this pot on the Walmart website for $15.74. It's a good size, comes with a lid, and isn't too expensive. They have other options, and you can shop in other stores to find the perfect pot for you.


2. Medium-sized Stock Pot

4-quart stainless steel steamer pot with lid
Image Credit: Walmart
Another easy meal that makes a lot of servings is soup. They can be prepared all in one pot, and I use a medium-sized stock pot for all my soups. 

This is technically a steamer pot, but if you remove the colander inside it, it's a stock pot! This is the best cheap option on the Walmart website for only $18.87. Once again, get whatever stock pot your heart desires, but this is a good affordable example.


3. Large-sized Skillet

5-quart skillet with lid
Image Credit: Walmart
The final cookware item you'll need is a large-sized skillet. All non-soup meals will be made in this skillet. I recommend a large-sized skillet because I like making multiple servings at once.


This skillet is on rollback on the Walmart website for $19.97. An important part is the high edges. The high edges keep your food from spill all over the place when you're stirring. 


You can find cookware sets at Walmart, too, if you don't want to buy everything individually. This set has the three main cookware pieces I recommend, plus a smaller sauce pot and saute pan for only $29.97! They also have cookware sets with loads of pieces. This 20-piece set has my three main pieces plus 10 other pots and pans AND various utensils. It's pricier for $89.84 and includes a lot of things you likely won't need, so I'd stick to a smaller, more practical set.

Utensils

Your utensils won't go through the same amount of wear and tear that your pots and pans will go through, so they don't need to be high-quality. The Dollar Tree has all the utensils you'll need for only $1.25 each!

1. Can Opener

Many of the ingredients that I use in my recipes are canned, so a can opener is an absolute must. There's no need to splurge on a fancy can opener; you can find a can opener at Dollar Tree that works just fine!

2. Measuring Spoons

When it comes to seasonings, you can always follow your heart. However, some ingredients need correct measurements. Dollar Tree has a set of measuring cups and spoons that are perfect!

3. Large Spoon

When cooking in a skillet, I use a large spoon to stir my food instead of something like a spatula. I prefer using a large spoon because I can use it while cooking, then use it to transfer my food into a plastic container to put in the fridge. The Dollar Tree has a great large spoon option.

4. Ladle

For soups, a ladle is necessary if you don't want to spend five minutes trying to fill a bowl with a tablespoon. Of course, the Dollar Tree has the ladle you need!

5. Knives

You'll be cutting up lots of veggies, so you'll need some knives. You can get a knife set that has a variety of knives, but you really only need one good knife. This knife from the Dollar Tree is a good option. It can cut all the veggies you need all by itself!

6. Cutting Board

You'll need a cutting board for all those veggies, too. There are a couple different types of cutting boards at the Dollar Tree: wood, plastic, and glass. I personally use a wood cutting board, but they all work just the same.

7. Colander

A colander comes in handy when cooking pasta, but you can also use it to drain canned beans or to wash vegetables. This colander from the Dollar Tree is a great option.

All off these utensils together will cost $8.75 before tax. If you buy all of these along with the $29.97 set from Walmart, you'll have everything you need for under $50! With all of this supplies, you'll be ready to cook your first meal! Next, you'll learn where to shop for the best affordable groceries!

Comments

  1. This is all really solid advice! I especially appreciate you suggesting and linking to low cost but still effective utensils. I bought a decent chefs' knife from a Martins near me my first year of college and I still use that to this day. You do not need high-end equipment to cook a decent meal, and you gave great examples of where you can acquire what you need for the kitchen. I'm excited to see what recipes you post, and maybe try some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! Not only giving great advice, but also making it fun and attention-keeping. I am lucky to be living at home without a need to buy my own cooking supplies, however I am always looking at stuff for when I move out. I also happen to enjoy planning ahead and gathering advice that I can use in the future. Sharing information such as this can be so important, especially because it could help someone significantly when in financial strain(or someone wanting to save money).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your Blog! You’ve captured the spirit of an organized kitchen, not just organize it, but to make it affordable and workable.

    Your Blog inspires mindfulness, and reminds us that your kitchen is really about preparing our mindset to creative and nourish.

    I do like your your step-by-step breakdown makes the process feel easy and stress-free. Many people struggle, including myself, when trying to create a functional cooking space.

    Your advice applies to different lifestyles, either someone who is retired, a busy student, a parent, or just starting out on their own. The visuals and layout are fresh and motivating, which makes readers want declutter right away!

    One thing thatwould make this more powerful is a section on "kitchen prep mistakes” , for example:

    Too many gadgets before organizing existing ones, that's me.

    Not labeling dry goods or forgetting expiration dates, that's me.

    Overlooking the cleaning and sanitizing stage before rearranging cabinets, that's me.

    You might also thinking about adding a “budget-essentials” checklist for small spaces or limited incomes. Like a cast-iron skillet or sharp chef’s knife, stackable containers to save counter space, and/or a simple meal-prep station for healthy, affordable cooking.
    This would help readers feel more confident they can build a stress-free and functional kitchen without spending a lot of money.
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a super helpful and well written and organized blog. I really appreciate the fact that you put in what could be seen as basic information because this isn’t information that is provided to everyone. Cooking and becoming a cook begins with the basics, and this blog does a really good job at breaking down the basics and provides super helpful information. Finding all of the utensils that are needed can be a daunting task, but the way that you have broken all of the information down and provided links and costs of each utensil is incredibly helpful. I look forward to future posts from your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment